Picnic

Picnic

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Life in the Appalachian Mountains

The Appalachians: a land of mist, mountain, coal, quilt and yes, dulcimers.
Abishai and I looked at pictures of the Appalachian Mountains on the internet.  I asked which was his favourite and this is what he pointed to: Coal creek trail. Why did he choose this one instead of a majestic mountain peak?


Feeling different kinds of fabric.  Thanks to my friend Jill for lending and labelling it for us. Abishai also enjoyed looking at pictures of the process of how yarn and fabric was made.  The tools and machines fascinated him.

Making "Joseph's Coat of Many Colours" a quilting pattern found in the story of The Rag Coat. We also read the story of Joseph's coat of many colours found in Genesis.  Here Abishai is doing his own thing.




Then I remembered that I had roll-up puzzle-felt.  I pulled it out and the boys continued to make designs.  As time goes on I'm curious to see if their play will evolve into real patterns.



Abishai left Micaiah to play cowboys.  When Abishai asked Micaiah to join him, Micaiah replied by saying, "I don't have time for that, Abishai." and he proceeded to work on arranging his triangles.

We spent some time listening to music played on a dulcimer: an Appalachian instrument. We looked at pictures of how one is made as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment