Picnic

Picnic

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Rest for the Weary

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30.

This verse was the focus of our bible time this week.  We talked about how God's Law is good and perfect but that the religious leaders of Jesus' time burdened the Israelites with extra, made-up laws.  These extra laws didn't bring the people closer to God, but burdened them down, making them weary.  We talked of how we want to follow God's ways and not be pressured by extra laws that can sometimes be imposed upon us.  So like Moses, when God first gave the Israelites His Laws on slabs of stone, we too attempted to make our own tablets of stone.

Our ingredients all laid out.  Saw dust was one of the ingredients, which I picked up from a friend from our old neighbourhood.

Measuring, mixing and rolling.





Trying to write the 10 commandments on soft dough proved very difficult.  I wasn't able to do the longer sentences, so I just wrote them on with a sharpie after we baked the tablets.


Extra history reading on the Nomads.  Abishai went hunting for rabbit in our backyard with a wooden stick (his spear) after reading this book.


Colouring a map of the fertile crescent where the Nomads settled and eventually became farmers and then city dwellers.  After circling the city of Jericho in the fertile crescent, Abishai and I talked about Jericho being the same city where God brought the walls tumbling down, through the faithful, trusting acts of the Israelites.






































Life Science of the week: Horses
My boys really enjoy colouring.  It has really helped develop pen control and has paved the way for printing skills.
Monkey see, monkey do.  Asher has gotten into colouring as well.  He's getting better at putting the lids back on and into the marker basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment